Saturday, May 19, 2012

I: 1948 - Opening night...

It Happened Last Night by Earl Wilson

PIAF TEACHES FRENCH TO E.W.

   I was a linguistic triumph parading my Ohio State University French at Edith Piaf's hit opening at Nick and Arnold's Versailles.
   After singing, Miss Piaf sat with John Loder, the B. W. and me. Miss Piaf babbled and gesticulated for something, and being a great French student, I knew she wanted a cigaret. Sure enough, she wanted a pencil.
   "How long'll you be in N. Y. ?" I then asked her.
   "No, thanks, I never drink," was her ready reply.
   Once very poor, she has an apt. filled with food. "I eat every penny," she said.
   Leave it to a Frenchman to eat the only thing cheap nowadays: money.
   Earl Wilson



Source fultonhistory.com:
New York Post - Friday, January 16, 1948 - Page 34.